Skip to main content

Night eating



 

Ever had one of those nights when that voice whisper and says, “just a bite? You were good all day and ate healthy but for some reason your taste bud calls for something you know you should not be eating.

You go to the kitchen, open the refrigerator door, and look at all the food you have. Decisions, decisions.  Which snack will it be?

 

I have had clients tell me that they have been surrounded by delicious food all day long and were able to dodge the temptations, but for some reason they are unable to keep their diets at night. Their diet is routinely sabotaged at night. The thoughts usually fall under the lines of “I have been good all day”. I rode my bike for 3 miles. I walked, weight trained and did various exercise and because of this, I deserve a reward for my good behavior. This thinking, leads us to consume a full day’s calories every night. 

 

The truth is they are deserving of a treat, but treating themselves badly. Treats should be consumed sparingly and far in between. Consuming treats on a daily basis negates the hard work that one has put in. A good days eating is sabotaged with the late-night binge. 

 

Are you in the mood for something sweet. Replace it with fruits, protein bars, a shake instead of cake, cookies etc. Speaking for myself, I had to learn how to substitute. I had to train my mind to satisfy the craving that was occurring with healthy treats. I also learned to replace the cravings with activities.  

 

I have a treadmill in my basement. I came to realize and learned quickly that exercise kills appetite. When I get a late-night craving, I climb on my treadmill. I find that after running a mile or so, my appetite diminishes. This thought me to fight the fight in a different manner. I began to fight fire with Fire.  

 

To help stop night eating find something new to do. If we eat well during the day, we  are rarely hungry at night. Instead we  are using food as a sedative to medicate our unruly emotions. I encourage you to write down ten activities you could undertake instead of nighttime eating: 

Example -  make a gratitude list

Make a friendship list, naming all those to whom you feel close

Organize your closet

Scrub your bathroom

Clean makeup brushes

Take a hot shower, brush and floss your teeth

Drink a hot cup of tea

Then post list on your refrigerator!

 

Find out what helps you and do it!

 

Book your fitness consultation today to begin your transformation journey!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How does the whole house get to eating healthy?

Replated Rice & Beans (spinach, kale and onions included) Healthy eating equals a healthy family! We often think that the only person who should be eating healthy is the person who is trying to lose weight. That is a lie!  Anyone and everyone should be attempting to eat healthy.   Healthy eating keeps diseases away and body in optimal shape. This article will help parents think of new ideas for healthy food preparation. I have a young child that hates vegetables. It was important that I found new ways to incorporate vegetables into his eating habits. I did and I called it replating.  I simply found ways to incorporate fruit and vegetables in every meal and make it look differently while respecting every family member's preferences.  Do not like the way vegetables & fruits look - Make them to look differently.  Growing in a Caribbean household meant that you did not have much choice in what you ate. You were given plates of food without considerati

Client Spotlight: A new perspective is all it takes!

  I have been overweight all of my life. At a young age, I often stopped playing early in games that required heavy running and movements as it pained to do these activities for long.  The fear of being ridiculed or being excluded from activities sometimes forced me into pushing myself which was not necessarily a bad thing because it allowed me to get in some form of exercise. I was the only overweight child in the house which made it difficult for my parents.  They often felt that putting one on a diet while the rest were free to eat what they wanted was somewhat cruel.  I am of Caribbean background and I can honestly say that eating home cooked meals was considered to be healthy despite the amount of carbs on your plate.  Eating unhealthy meant that you were eating burgers, pizza, fried chicken etc…. but if the chicken was fried in the same dwelling you rested your head… it some how was regarded as healthy.  This was the dilemma. Around the age of 12 my parents became concerned and e

How exercise helps cope with anxiety?

2020 has been a year of stress & anxiety, and I think the one thing that is helping me right now is my ability to zero in on my health & nutrition that corresponds exact to my biological profile.  I’m a female, considered to be in mid-life ages, of a Haitian descent, frame is small, standing at 5 feet 1 inch, a compact body type that makes me appear bigger than a taller person with similar muscle mass, and an x or what we call hourglass shape based on my measurements which includes my bust, waist and hip measurements (to calculate your body type you can click on this calculator and enter your measurements).  Arming myself with this information has helped to make choices about my food, exercise regimens and general health that align more with maintaining this shape while losing excess unhealthy fat and weight. While I am trying my best to maintain and sustain this new lifestyle, it gets difficult when faced with outside stressors such as anxiety. Anxiety can throw off the na